Definition of shipwreck:
- A ship wrecked or destroyed upon the water, or the parts of such a ship; wreckage.
- Fig.: Destruction; ruin; irretrievable loss.
- The breaking in pieces, or shattering, of a ship or other vessel by being cast ashore or driven against rocks, shoals, etc., by the violence of the winds and waves.
- To cause to experience shipwreck, as sailors or passengers. Hence, to cause to suffer some disaster or loss; to destroy or ruin, as if by shipwreck; to wreck; as, to shipwreck a business.
- To destroy, as a ship at sea, by running ashore or on rocks or sandbanks, or by the force of wind and waves in a tempest.
miss, bummer, washout, fiasco, fizzle, raise, broadside, blindside, salvage, bomb, shipwrecked, catastrophe, dud, keel over, clunker, scupper, crash, wrecking, founder, bust, accident, clinker, break down, flop, scuttle, loser, shipwrecking, frost, help, lemon, blowout, disaster, aquaplane, car crash, bang up, turkey.
It was said, that through the fire and shipwreck, there were destroyed about three thousand persons, whose bodies were found in part, besides those that were wholly burnt to ashes, and could not be found."- "Old Church Lore", William Andrews.
- "An Essay on the Principle of Population", Thomas Malthus.
- "The Satyricon, Complete", Petronius Arbiter.