Definition of shirk:
- One who lives by shifts and tricks; one who avoids the performance of duty or labor.
- To avoid; to escape; to neglect; - implying unfaithfulness or fraud; as, to shirk duty.
- To evade an obligation; to avoid the performance of duty, as by running away.
- To live by shifts and fraud; to shark.
- To procure by petty fraud and trickery; to obtain by mean solicitation.
swindle, con, toy, mulct, nobble, loaf, bum, do, loiter, bunco, shrink from, diddle, monkey, laze, gip, lounge, gyp, victimize, idle, defraud, cheat, fiddle, slack, play, goldbrick, short-change, tamper, rook, industrious, scam, neglect, hornswoggle, malinger, goof, disregard, tinker.
- "Queen Sheba's Ring", H. Rider Haggard.
- "The Village Wife's Lament", Maurice Hewlett.
- "Eunice", Margaret Murray Robertson.