Definition of shoddy:
- A fabric of inferior quality made of, or containing a large amount of, shoddy.
- A fibrous material obtained by deviling, or tearing into fibers, refuse woolen goods, old stockings, rags, druggets, etc. See Mungo.
- Fluffy, fibrous waste from wool carding, worsted spinning, or weaving of woolens.
- Made wholly or in part of shoddy; containing shoddy; as, shoddy cloth; shoddy blankets; hence, colloquially, not genuine; sham; pretentious; as, shoddy aristocracy.
cheesy, threadbare, sleazy, rundown, rotten, delusory, trashy, paltry, meretricious, cheapjack, scruffy, flash, gimcrack, loud, poor, decaying, down-at-heel, misleading, miserable, poor, bedraggled, jerry-built, gaudy, dingy, faded, crummy, tattered, ratty, shabby, tatty, brassy, flashy, scrubby, broken-down, pretentious, mangy, seedy, lousy, inferior, tacky, garish, deceptive, good, schlocky, better, dilapidated, decrepit, weak, delusory, base, tawdry, cheap.
- neglectful (part of speech: adjective)
- "Pygmalion", George Bernard Shaw.
- "Half Portions", Edna Ferber.
- "A Narrative of Service with the Third Wisconsin Infantry", Julian Wisner Hinkley.