Definition of short :
1. A short sound, syllable, or vowel.
2. A summary account.
3. Abrupt; brief; pointed; petulant; as, he gave a short answer to the question.
4. Breaking or crumbling readily in the mouth; crisp; as, short pastry.
5. Breeches; shortclothes.
7. Deficient; defective; imperfect; not coming up, as to a measure or standard; as, an account which is short of the trith.
8. Engaging or engaged to deliver what is not possessed; as, short contracts; to be short of stock. See The shorts, under Short, n., and To sell short, under Short, adv.
9. In a short manner; briefly; limitedly; abruptly; quickly; as, to stop short in one's course; to turn short.
10. Insufficiently provided; inadequately supplied; scantily furnished; lacking; not coming up to a resonable, or the ordinary, standard; - usually with of; as, to be short of money.
11. Less important, efficaceous, or powerful; not equal or equivalent; less ( than); - with of.
12. Limited in intellectual power or grasp; not comprehensive; narrow; not tenacious, as memory.
13. Limited in quantity; inadequate; insufficient; scanty; as, a short supply of provisions, or of water.
14. Not distant in time; near at hand.
15. Not extended in time; having very limited duration; not protracted; as, short breath.
16. Not long; having brief length or linear extension; as, a short distance; a short piece of timber; a short flight.
17. Not prolonged, or relatively less prolonged, in utterance; -- opposed to long, and applied to vowels or to syllables. In English, the long and short of the same letter are not, in most cases, the long and short of the same sound; thus, the i in ill is the short sound, not of i in isle, but of ee in eel, and the e in pet is the short sound of a in pate, etc. See Quantity, and Guide to Pronunciation, // 22, 30.
18. Short, inferior hemp.
19. The part of milled grain sifted out which is next finer than the bran.
20. To fail; to decrease.
21. To shorten.
poor, short-lived, briefly, petty, short circuit, mulct, forgetful, con, misfortunate, sententious, of a sudden, pointed, short-term, footling, irritable, miss, absolutely, pitiable, speedy, concisely, summary, words, light, rapid, flying, bypass, short-spoken, in brief, rook, laconic, shortstop, shy, fast, chunky, ill-judged, shortsighted, in short, diddle, aphoristic, wretched, curtly, style, victimize, trivial, be inadequate, pitiful, before long, epigrammatic, pithy, brusk, attitude, big, skimpy, summarized, utterly, unawares, presently, excess, swindle, miserable, unretentive, fleeting, minuscule, suddenly, short-tempered, hurried, gip, improvident, dead, neat, scam, undersized, hasty, bare, myopic, piffling, gyp, stubby, fail, goldbrick, unforesightful, go around, ill-considered, unmindful, oblivious, be unsuccessful, quick, thickset, under, bunco, on the spur of the moment, perfectly, get around, swift, dumpy, dwarf, wanting, mindless, pathetic, nearsighted, fiddling, hapless, compendious, cut short, all of a sudden, defraud, niggling, abruptly, lilliputian, hornswoggle, fall down, nobble, scarce, unequal, shortly, piteous, inadequate, stocky, short-change, expeditious, crusty, soon
severe (part of speech: adjective)
brisk, ascetic, obdurate, spare, crisp, gruff, inflexible, rigorous, relentless, Draconian, stern, stringent, stiff-necked, basic, acute, austere, intense, oppressive, critical, demanding, prudish, cool, dour, disciplined, strait-laced, intolerant, harsh, keen, icy, rigid, hidebound, astringent, unbending, precise, severe, lean, cutting, meticulous, censorious, Spartan, chilly, raw, frosty, bleak, grim, imperial, acerbic, obstinate, correct, strict, exacting, tart, dry, authoritarian, piquant, uncompromising, fundamental, stark, caustic, sharp, acrimonious, puritanical
little (part of speech: adjective)
short (part of speech: adjective)
small (part of speech: adjective)
minute, deficient, miniature, miserly, minimal, tiny, teensy, beggarly, ungenerous, teeny-weeny, minor, wee, toy, sparing, paltry, delicate, scrawny, trifling, weeny, baby, dwarfish, piddling, modest, smallish, slight, negligible, nugatory, diminutive, scant, meager, itty-bitty, pocket, teeny, stingy, scanty, bantam, niggardly, slim, microscopic
incomplete (part of speech: adjective)
missing, unsatisfactory, unaccomplished, patchy, undone, immature, curtailed, sectional, incomplete, discontinuous, segmental, fractional, insufficient, embryonic, unattained, unfinished, unfulfilled, fragmentary, unachieved, partial, lacking
low (part of speech: adjective)
concise (part of speech: adjective)