Definition of shout:
- A gratuitous entertainment, with refreshments or the like; a treat.
- A loud burst of voice or voices; a vehement and sudden outcry, especially of a multitudes expressing joy, triumph, exultation, or animated courage.
- To entertain with refreshments or the like gratuitously; to treat.
- To treat ( one) to something; also, to give ( something) by way of treating.
- To treat with shouts or clamor.
- To utter a sudden and loud outcry, as in joy, triumph, or exultation, or to attract attention, to animate soldiers, etc.
- To utter with a shout; to cry; - sometimes with out; as, to shout, or to shout out, a man's name.
laugh at, pervert, rallying cry, call off, war cry, telephone, grouse, hollo, forebode, margin call, call in, step, birdcall, blare, bellyache, roar, yell, name, maltreat, call option, ill-use, phone call, outcry, make fun, wawl, send for, show, holler out, abuse, battle cry, poke fun, ring, cry out, gripe, shout out, proclaim, squall, call-out, call, promise, halloo, bitch, squawk, foretell, predict, outshout, beef, weep, bid, cry, song, vociferate, roast, clapperclaw, ejaculate, call up, claim, bellow, rib, phone, misuse, sounds, ridicule, blazon out, yawp, prognosticate, waul, address, exclaim, watchword, vociferation, anticipate, birdsong, ill-treat, crab, visit, guy, telephone call, bluster, blackguard, promulgate, jest at, mistreat.
- "Captain John Smith", Charles Dudley Warner Last Updated: February 22, 2009.
- "A Victor of Salamis", William Stearns Davis.
- "The History of Samuel Titmarsh and the Great Hoggarty Diamond", William Makepeace Thackeray.