Definition of shrimp :
1. Any one of numerous species of macruran Crustacea belonging to Crangon and various allied genera, having a slender body and long legs. Many of them are used as food. The larger kinds are called also prawns. See Illust. of Decapoda.
2. Figuratively, a little wrinkled man; a dwarf; - in contempt.
3. In a loose sense, any small crustacean, including some amphipods and even certain entomostracans; as, the fairy shrimp, and brine shrimp. See under Fairy, and Brine.
4. In a more general sense, any species of the macruran tribe Caridea, or any species of the order Schizopoda, having a similar form.
5. To contract; to shrink.
California, common, mussel, zero, shellfish, cipher, scrub, pink, nullity, river, diminutive, hulk, Tom Thumb, clam, morsel, runt, lobster, peewit, number, giant, peewee, prawn, he-man, nonentity, scampi, crawfish, snippersnapper, nothing, manikin, cockle, crab, rock, amazon, squid, freshwater, zilch, important, cowrie, oyster, insect, mannikin, conch, nobody, pygmy, scallop, barnacle, insignificancy, wood pewee, abalone, gulf prawn, lightweight, brute, midget, beanpole, dwarf, octopus, colossus, nebbish, twerp, mite, cockleshell, bivalve, pewee, whippersnapper, pip-squeak, gamine, winkle, half-pint, pewit, deep-water
- If Mr. Tucker supposes that " She was by way of painting the shrimp girl" means exactly the same as " She was painting the shrimp girl," he misses one of the fine shades of the English language. - "America To-day, Observations and Reflections", William Archer.
- That little shrimp Conway is scared of his life and is for pulling out. - "The Short Cut", Jackson Gregory.
- While the skin is still soft the Shrimp grows very quickly. - "On the Seashore", R. Cadwallader Smith.