Definition of shut:
- A door or cover; a shutter.
- Closed or fastened; as, a shut door.
- Cut off sharply and abruptly by a following consonant in the same syllable, as the English short vowels, always are.
- Formed by complete closure of the mouth passage, and with the nose passage remaining closed; stopped, as are the mute consonants, p, t, k, b, d, and hard g.
- of Shut
- Rid; clear; free; as, to get shut of a person.
- The act or time of shutting; close; as, the shut of a door.
- The line or place where two pieces of metal are united by welding.
- To close itself; to become closed; as, the door shuts; it shuts hard.
- To close so as to hinder ingress or egress; as, to shut a door or a gate; to shut one's eyes or mouth.
- To fold together; to close over, as the fingers; to close by bringing the parts together; as, to shut the hand; to shut a book.
- To forbid entrance into; to prohibit; to bar; as, to shut the ports of a country by a blockade.
- To preclude; to exclude; to bar out.
shut down, eject, ostracize, fold, unsympathetic, rule out, keep, close up, conclude, closed, blinking, leave off, chuck out, cast out, dismiss, tight, bar, count out, eliminate, blackball, omit, accept, except, turf out, leave out, debar, banish, open, compressed, squinched, include, winking, boycott, squinting, keep out, exclude, close down, dispel, shut out, close, boot out, come together, take out, blacklist, closed in, unopen, turn out, fill up.
- close (part of speech: verb)
- closed (part of speech: verb)