Definition of shutter :
1. A mechanical device of various forms, attached to a camera for opening and closing to expose the plate.
2. A movable cover or screen for a window, designed to shut out the light, to obstruct the view, or to be of some strength as a defense; a blind.
3. A removable cover, or a gate, for closing an aperture of any kind, as for closing the passageway for molten iron from a ladle.
4. One who shuts or closes.
blind (part of speech: adjective)
shade (part of speech: noun)
- Imagine, then, a little shutter placed in front of the lantern. - "The Story of the Heavens", Robert Stawell Ball.
- Farther back, staircase leading to a little room under the roof, the entrance of which is visible through the open shutter. - "Cyrano de Bergerac", Edmond Rostand.
- Deirdre slowly swung aside the shutter. - "The School by the Sea", Angela Brazil.