Definition of singe:
- A burning of the surface; a slight burn.
- To burn slightly or superficially; to burn the surface of; to burn the ends or outside of; as, to singe the hair or the skin.
- To remove the hair or down from ( a plucked chicken or the like) by passing it over a flame.
- To remove the nap of ( cloth), by passing it rapidly over a red- hot bar, or over a flame, preliminary to dyeing it.
- "Traditions of the Tinguian: A Study in Philippine Folk-Lore", Fay-Cooper Cole.
- "The Jungle Book", Rudyard Kipling.
- "The Book of Household Management", Mrs. Isabella Beeton.