Definition of single :
1. A game with but one player on each side; - usually in the plural.
2. A handful of gleaned grain.
3. A hit by a batter which enables him to reach first base only.
4. A unit; one; as, to score a single.
5. Alone; having no companion.
6. Hence, unmarried; as, a single man or woman.
7. Not deceitful or artful; honest; sincere.
8. Not doubled, twisted together, or combined with others; as, a single thread; a single strand of a rope.
9. One only, as distinguished from more than one; consisting of one alone; individual; separate; as, a single star.
10. Performed by one person, or one on each side; as, a single combat.
11. Simple; not wise; weak; silly.
12. The reeled filaments of silk, twisted without doubling to give them firmness.
13. To select, as an individual person or thing, from among a number; to choose out from others; to separate.
14. To sequester; to withdraw; to retire.
15. To take alone, or one by one.
16. To take the irrregular gait called single- foot;- said of a horse. See Single- foot.
17. Uncompounded; pure; unmixed.
virtuoso, cull, bingle, iodin, free, unequaled, particular, public, separate, champion, wiz, uncommon, unaccompanied, married, one, iodine, original, deserted, superstar, select, exceptional, rare, common, unity, fancy-free, footloose, separated, eligible, discrete, whizz, peerless, whiz, mavin, exclusive, ace, unattached, general, include, star, atomic number 53, item-by-item, numerous, angiotensin-converting enzyme, elect, maven, lonely, genius, integrity, wholeness, lonesome, restricted, sensation, many, personal, divorced, adept, unusual, spouseless, marriage, companionless, oneness, unrivaled, isolated, wizard, private, choice, secluded, case-by-case, hotshot
celibate (part of speech: adjective)
chaste, abstemious, lone, spinsterish, solitary, pure, ascetic, old maid, unmarried, alone, abstinent, intact, unwed, celibate, virgin, monastic, unplowed, virginal, asexual, bachelor, maiden, monkish
united (part of speech: adjective)
entire, same, integrated, holistic, atomic, irreducible, indivisible, fundamental, congruent, complete, unified, solid, monolithic, united, cohesive, congruous, homogeneous, elemental, simple, uniform, undivided, coincident, coherent, integral
single (part of speech: adjective)
- Not a single woman in the world! - "Vittoria, v8", George Meredith.
- " Get tears from her," Merthyr rejoined; " but hide nothing from her for a single instant; keep her in daylight. - "Vittoria, v8", George Meredith.
- Up she got: a single glance out of window was enough. - "Little Novels of Italy Madonna Of The Peach-Tree, Ippolita In The Hills, The Duchess Of Nona, Messer Cino And The Live Coal, The Judgment Of Borso", Maurice Henry Hewlett.