Definition of singular :
1. An individual instance; a particular.
2. Being alone; belonging to, or being, that of which there is but one; unique.
3. Denoting one person or thing; as, the singular number; - opposed to dual and plural.
4. Departing from general usage or expectations; odd; whimsical; - often implying disapproval or consure.
5. Distinguished as existing in a very high degree; rarely equaled; eminent; extraordinary; exceptional; as, a man of singular gravity or attainments.
6. Each; individual; as, to convey several parcels of land, all and singular.
7. Engaged in by only one on a side; single.
8. Existing by itself; single; individual.
9. Separate or apart from others; single; distinct.
10. Standing by itself; out of the ordinary course; unusual; uncommon; strange; as, a singular phenomenon.
11. The singular number, or the number denoting one person or thing; a word in the singular number.
leftover, patented, matchless, suspicious, offbeat, ergative, alone, imperative, continuous, grotesque, unmated, unrivaled, select, aberrated, quaint, remaining, usual, awesome, out-of-the-way, finite, phenomenal, amusing, one, preeminent, phat, countable, private, towering, unmatched, left, unparalleled, impersonal, active, plum, rum, personalized, risible, preposterous, sing., singular form, unnatural, special, unequalled, causative, peerless, unexpended, whimsical, sui generis, unequaled, mirthful, homophile, one-off, noncount, individualized, droll, suspect, rummy, unaccustomed, unreal, cushdy, comical, ace, future, outstanding, unexampled, unwonted, preternatural, gay, terrific, separate, splendid, incomparable, exceeding, weird, remarkable, out of sight, screwball, left over, particular, nominal, crotchety, freak, better, personal, extraordinaire, ablative, intransitive, magnificent, especial, fantastic, laughable, surreal, superior, imperfect, uneven, privy, shady, noteworthy, uncountable, same, idiomatic, cranky, ludicrous, standout, kooky, include, great, comic, discrete, fishy, nonpareil, subjective, unpaired, ridiculous, edgy
nonconforming (part of speech: adjective)
fey, queer, curious, funny, uncustomary, bizarre, unusual, different, incompatible, incongruous, unconventional, freakish, aberrant, un-ordinary, novel, divergent, oddity, crosspatch, crazy, irregular, deviant, out of the ordinary, atypical, odd, quirky, nonconforming, extraordinary, uncommon, deranged, oddball, peculiar, improper, anomalous, idiosyncratic, misfit, strange, eccentric, mismatch, off, untypical, erratic, unique, exceptional, abnormal, outlandish, inconsistent, unfamiliar
unusual (part of speech: adjective)
single (part of speech: adjective)
- The effect is then very singular. - "The Pearl of India", Maturin M. Ballou.
- You do not want to make yourself singular, Daisy." - "Daisy in the Field", Elizabeth Wetherell.
- Whether he meant to have me understand this as a singular case, or as a common action of the tribe, I do not know; I made no inquiries of him. - "The Captive in Patagonia", Benjamin Franklin Bourne.