Definition of sir:
- A man of social authority and dignity; a lord; a master; a gentleman; - in this sense usually spelled sire.
- A respectful title, used in addressing a man, without being prefixed to his name; - used especially in speaking to elders or superiors; sometimes, also, used in the way of emphatic formality.
- A title prefixed to the Christian name of a knight or a baronet.
- An English rendering of the LAtin Dominus, the academical title of a bachelor of arts; - formerly colloquially, and sometimes contemptuously, applied to the clergy.
- "With Moore At Corunna", G. A. Henty.
- "Diary of Samuel Pepys, Complete Transcribed From The Shorthand Manuscript In The Pepysian Library Magdalene College Cambridge By The Rev. Mynors Bright", Samuel Pepys Commentator: Lord Braybrooke.
- "A Mysterious Disappearance", Gordon Holmes.