Definition of skip:
- A basket on wheels, used in cotton factories.
- A basket. See Skep.
- A beehive; a skep.
- A charge of sirup in the pans.
- A light leap or bound.
- A passage from one sound to another by more than a degree at once.
- An iron bucket, which slides between guides, for hoisting mineral and rock.
- Fig.: To leave matters unnoticed, as in reading, speaking, or writing; to pass by, or overlook, portions of a thing; - often followed by over.
- The act of passing over an interval from one thing to another; an omission of a part.
- To cause to skip; as, to skip a stone.
- To leap lightly over; as, to skip the rope.
- To leap lightly; to move in leaps and hounds; - commonly implying a sportive spirit.
- To pass over or by without notice; to omit; to miss; as, to skip a line in reading; to skip a lesson.
scurry, parachute, wipe, swerve, give over, it's a long story, flee, omission, cream off, cream, truant, alternate, abbreviate, running jump, point, trim, derail, chamber pot, race, trip, thin out, gambol, bolt, jump-start, traverse, startle, skim over, prune, snub, leap out, project, burn, fling, jumpstart, turn off, cesspit, carom, dart, omit to do something, cut through, get out of, speed, direct, perish the thought, pitch, hurl, flying tackle, transit, lam, seek, hop-skip, cover, cut, don't ask, edit, trim down, glance over, stick out, shorten, tailor, pass through, dismiss, jump off, trend, abridge, make off, run down, stand by, neglect, give up, run off, deletion, strike, curve, cut off, fly, contract, skim off, no reason, scamper, slue, scan, cut across, cut back, drop, skip over, rake, decamp, dustpan, stay out of, refrain, glance, gallop, free, Dumpster, dustbin, switch off, commander, flinch from (doing) something, overfly, move through, dap, run away, plane, skim, bedpan, lob, disregard, bound off, slew, caper, graze, issue, move, hop, go off, keep it simple, bother, rationalize, scuttle, pass over, ignore, bin, cross, let nature take its course, bring down, abscond, surge, ricochet, trim back, veer, cut down, can't bring yourself to do something, sit by, chute, pass across, charge, absquatulate, outpace, throw, flip, wriggle out of (doing) something, jump out, reduce, dive, keep, sheer, vamoose, toss, break camp, climb up, geld, stand out, make out, duck out of, don't remind me, edit out, write out, skipper, be quick on your feet, ashtray, make no move, thin, hasten, dilute, start, track, aim, rise, jump, get across, skitter, rationalise, garbage can, get over, ashcan, foreshorten, turn out, hack, ricochet.
- avoid (part of speech: verb)
- leap (part of speech: verb)
- leaps (part of speech: noun)
- escape (part of speech: verb)
- "The Secret Garden", Frances Hodgson Burnett.
- "The Heath Hover Mystery", Bertram Mitford.
- "The Child Under Eight", E.R. Murray and Henrietta Brown Smith.