Definition of sleep:
- A natural and healthy, but temporary and periodical, suspension of the functions of the organs of sense, as well as of those of the voluntary and rational soul; that state of the animal in which there is a lessened acuteness of sensory perception, a confusion of ideas, and a loss of mental control, followed by a more or less unconscious state.
- imp. of Sleep. Slept.
- To be careless, inattentive, or uncouncerned; not to be vigilant; to live thoughtlessly.
- To be dead; to lie in the grave.
- To be slumbering in; - followed by a cognate object; as, to sleep a dreamless sleep.
- To be, or appear to be, in repose; to be quiet; to be unemployed, unused, or unagitated; to rest; to lie dormant; as, a question sleeps for the present; the law sleeps.
- To give sleep to; to furnish with accomodations for sleeping; to lodge.
- To take rest by a suspension of the voluntary exercise of the powers of the body and mind, and an apathy of the organs of sense; to slumber.
relaxation, forty winks, intermission, nod, grave, be no slouch, decease, cessation, have a genius for (doing) something, napping, the Sandman, lifelessness, nourish, pile, have an eye for, nap, great divide, power nap, passage, catnap, ply with, recreation, expiration, deadness, rest period, the down, take in, shut-eye, shuteye, dormancy, quietude, sopor, remainder, deep sleep, catch some z's, quietus, support, beauty sleep, balance, respite, accommodate, stop, doze, end, log Z's, cat sleep, siesta, quiescence, drift off, the land of Nod, dozing, serve, lay on, residue, drop off, drowse, repose, expiry, feed, peace, doom, short sleep, snoozing, dissolution, have/get something down to a fine art, residuum, exit, dead, slumbering, kip, eternal sleep, relief, Morpheus, have a flair for something, REM sleep, dream, rest, be able to do something, doze off, peacefulness, slumber, have a magic touch, ease, stillness, curtains, demise, residual, land of Nod, passing, eternal rest, calmness, awareness, go to sleep, z's, fate, sound sleep, dreamland, quietness, go off, the arms of Morpheus, snooze, cater, hibernation, be in practice, bed, tranquillity, nothingness, resting, catnapping, house, be a past master at doing something.