Definition of sleep :
1. A natural and healthy, but temporary and periodical, suspension of the functions of the organs of sense, as well as of those of the voluntary and rational soul; that state of the animal in which there is a lessened acuteness of sensory perception, a confusion of ideas, and a loss of mental control, followed by a more or less unconscious state.
2. imp. of Sleep. Slept.
3. To be careless, inattentive, or uncouncerned; not to be vigilant; to live thoughtlessly.
4. To be dead; to lie in the grave.
5. To be slumbering in; - followed by a cognate object; as, to sleep a dreamless sleep.
6. To be, or appear to be, in repose; to be quiet; to be unemployed, unused, or unagitated; to rest; to lie dormant; as, a question sleeps for the present; the law sleeps.
7. To give sleep to; to furnish with accomodations for sleeping; to lodge.
8. To take rest by a suspension of the voluntary exercise of the powers of the body and mind, and an apathy of the organs of sense; to slumber.
relaxation, the Sandman, power nap, balance, deep sleep, curtains, peace, deadness, accommodate, shuteye, dream, cater, dreamland, the land of Nod, remainder, doze, pile, lifelessness, great divide, doze off, be a past master at doing something, z's, serve, peacefulness, fate, residual, land of Nod, drop off, nod, snoozing, the arms of Morpheus, support, the down, have/get something down to a fine art, exit, catch some z's, ply with, respite, decease, catnapping, residue, expiration, awareness, resting, catnap, kip, feed, be no slouch, snooze, grave, napping, short sleep, sopor, have an eye for, dormancy, bed, doom, have a genius for (doing) something, log Z's, quiescence, ease, have a magic touch, go to sleep, residuum, recreation, end, go off, quietus, have a flair for something, nap, drift off, cat sleep, rest period, relief, stop, be in practice, passing, passage, calmness, eternal sleep, shut-eye, demise, cessation, sound sleep, house, quietness, slumbering, Morpheus, lay on, be able to do something, forty winks, repose, expiry, dozing, quietude, dead, tranquillity, eternal rest, REM sleep, dissolution, nourish, hibernation, siesta, stillness, drowse, take in, beauty sleep, nothingness, intermission
rest (part of speech: verb)