Definition of softening:
- moderating (part of speech: verb)
- enfeebling (part of speech: verb)
- pacifying (part of speech: verb)
softening (part of speech: verb)
- blunting (part of speech: verb)
- "Saturday's Child", Kathleen Norris.
He began to listen with delight to the tales of Clever Dog Tom, who told him that hands like his would work well in his line, and his innocent- looking face would go a long way towards softening any judge and jury, or would bring him favour with the chaplain, and easy times in gaol.- "Alone In London", Hesba Stretton.
- "Old Ebenezer", Opie Read.