Definition of soothe:
talk down, solace, gentle, kill, help, salve, Abate, numb, settle, assure, dulcify, lullaby, put someone at (their) ease, becalm, sweeten, comfort, console, quieten, propitiate, deaden, put/set someone's mind at ease/at rest.
- calm (part of speech: verb)
- moderate (part of speech: verb)
- alleviate (part of speech: verb)
- pacify (part of speech: verb)
- soothe (part of speech: verb)
- quiet (part of speech: verb)
" Alone in her room, her feelings gave way, and none save those who like her have suffered, can conceive of her anguish, as prostrate upon the floor she lay, her long silken curls falling about her white face, which looked ghastly and haggard by the moonlight that fell softly about her, as if to soothe her woe.- "'Lena Rivers", Mary J. Holmes.
- "The Spirit of the Border A Romance of the Early Settlers in the Ohio Valley", Zane Grey.
- "The Man and the Moment", Elinor Glyn.