Definition of sputter:
spit up, go, cough out, fail, founder, grind, fight, bomb, struggle, cut out, scrape, burn up, pare, expectorate, jabber, waffle, babble, spattering, drivel, sounds, splash, spit, shin, splattering, miss, drool, gabble, gibber, mumble, jumble, splutter, collapse, dab, chat, clamber, chatter, beat, burble, fire, contend, cycle, slur, idle, crash, shinny, throw together, languish, bumble, sputtering, crepitate, engagement, backfire, equivocate, prattle, cough up, scramble, bark, splatter, spatter, flood, skin, crackle, peel, flop, spit out, splashing.
- sibilate (part of speech: verb)
- stumble (part of speech: verb)
- sibilation (part of speech: noun)
- "The Girl Aviators' Motor Butterfly", Margaret Burnham.
- "Careers of Danger and Daring", Cleveland Moffett.
- "Aspects of Literature", J. Middleton Murry.