Definition of subtle:
pestilent, nice, clear-sighted, invisible, bejeweled, tough, penetrating, suggestive, inconspicuous, subliminal, subtile, discerning, hairsplitting, guileful, inward, embossed, delicate, wise, problematic, hidden, impalpable, unclear, deadly, illusive, airy, cute, indistinct, perceptive, precise, exquisite, nuanced, fuzzy, discriminating, elusive, big, insidious, sagacious, keen, cagey, discreet, beguiling, imperceptible, faint, I/you/she etc. would never guess, feeble, beaded, emblazoned, hairline, unobtrusive, harmful, perspicacious, refined, academic, ill-defined, problematical, dodgy, minute, pernicious, baneful, decorative, knotty, bedecked, baffling, chintzy, Clever, dainty, acute, bright, underlying, knowing, undetected, able, inferred, finespun, delicately, mental, busy, blurred, penetrative.
- precise (part of speech: adjective)
- cunning (part of speech: adjective)
- subtle (part of speech: adjective)
- wispy (part of speech: adjective)
witty (part of speech: adjective)
- "The Grell Mystery", Frank Froest.
- "Harvest", Mrs. Humphry Ward.
- "The Nest of the Sparrowhawk", Baroness Orczy.