Definition of tabby:
- A brindled cat; hence, popularly, any cat.
- A kind of waved silk, usually called watered silk, manufactured like taffeta, but thicker and stronger. The watering is given to it by calendering.
- A mixture of lime with shells, gravel, or stones, in equal proportions, with an equal proportion of water. When dry, this becomes as hard as rock.
- An old maid or gossip.
- Brindled; diversified in color; as, a tabby cat.
- Having a wavy or watered appearance; as, a tabby waistcoat.
- To water; to cause to look wavy, by the process of calendering; to calender; as, to tabby silk, mohair, ribbon, etc.
pussycat, king, Siamese cat, gossipmonger, kitty, brindle, tomcat, tattletale, brindled, female monarch, tabby cat, queen regnant, gossiper, brinded, blab, patterned, calico cat, talebearer, words, queen mole rat, taleteller, world-beater, tom, mouser, queen, pussy, rumormonger, newsmonger, yenta, puss, telltale, gossip, tattle, whisperer, tattler, scandalmonger.
- "Spinning-Wheel Stories", Louisa May Alcott.
My wife extraordinary fine to- day, in her flower tabby suit, bought a year and more ago, before my mother's death put her into mourning, and so not worn till this day: and every body in love with it; and indeed she is very fine and handsome in it.- "Diary of Samuel Pepys, Complete Transcribed From The Shorthand Manuscript In The Pepysian Library Magdalene College Cambridge By The Rev. Mynors Bright", Samuel Pepys Commentator: Lord Braybrooke.
- "The Firing Line", Robert W. Chambers.