Definition of take:
- In a somewhat passive sense, to receive; to bear; to endure; to acknowledge; to accept.
- In an active sense; To lay hold of; to seize with the hands, or otherwise; to grasp; to get into one's hold or possession; to procure; to seize and carry away; to convey.
- Not to refuse or balk at; to undertake readily; to clear; as, to take a hedge or fence.
- That which is taken; especially, the quantity of fish captured at one haul or catch.
- The quantity or copy given to a compositor at one time.
- To accept the word or offer of; to receive and accept; to bear; to submit to; to enter into agreement with; - used in general senses; as, to take a form or shape.
- To accept, as something offered; to receive; not to refuse or reject; to admit.
- To admit of being pictured, as in a photograph; as, his face does not take well.
- To assume; to adopt; to acquire, as shape; to permit to one's self; to indulge or engage in; to yield to; to have or feel; to enjoy or experience, as rest, revenge, delight, shame; to form and adopt, as a resolution; -- used in general senses, limited by a following complement, in many idiomatic phrases; as, to take a resolution; I take the liberty to say.
- To bear without ill humor or resentment; to submit to; to tolerate; to endure; as, to take a joke; he will take an affront from no man.
- To carry; to convey; to deliver to another; to hand over; as, he took the book to the bindery.
- To draw; to deduce; to derive.
- To employ; to use; to occupy; hence, to demand; to require; as, it takes so much cloth to make a coat.
- To form a likeness of; to copy; to delineate; to picture; as, to take picture of a person.
- To gain or secure the interest or affection of; to captivate; to engage; to interest; to charm.
- To give or deliver ( a blow to); to strike; hit; as, he took me in the face; he took me a blow on the head.
- To lead; to conduct; as, to take a child to church.
- To make a picture, photograph, or the like, of; as, to take a group or a scene.
- To make selection of; to choose; also, to turn to; to have recourse to; as, to take the road to the right.
- To move or direct the course; to resort; to betake one's self; to proceed; to go; - usually with to; as, the fox, being hard pressed, took to the hedge.
- To obtain possession of by force or artifice; to get the custody or control of; to reduce into subjection to one's power or will; to capture; to seize; to make prisoner; as, to take am army, a city, or a ship; also, to come upon or befall; to fasten on; to attack; to seize; -- said of a disease, misfortune, or the like.
- To please; to gain reception; to succeed.
- To receive as something to be eaten or dronk; to partake of; to swallow; as, to take food or wine.
- To remove; to withdraw; to deduct; - with from; as, to take the breath from one; to take two from four.
- To take hold; to fix upon anything; to have the natural or intended effect; to accomplish a purpose; as, he was inoculated, but the virus did not take.
sweep, emergence, labor, proportion, change, look at, retain, play, call in, passing, relegate, ride, dumbfound, retire, contact, slang, replication, handle, used, grapple, target, stop, declare, output, determine, end, not give a fig about/for something, take for, manage, get by, trim, reappearance, seize on, demand, understand, retort, bugger off, ca-ca, contend, dose, plow, dope, fit out, snap, opt, grin and bear it, fasten on, defer, sound, flimflam, perform, bind, dupe, incorporate, cod, guide on, necessary, film, come across, wipe out, pack, talk in terms of something, turn back, prefer, mint, like, fail, compact, rent, dribble, maintain, fill up, push, carry away, sentimentalize, invite, orchestrate, coin, beat, issuing, weigh, organize, have got, draw, buzz off, contemplate, examine, counter, create, number, study, move, repulse, quantify, sweep away, down, elapse, act, present, bring around, commentary, government issue, follow, carry out, adjourn, knock off, set about, drive, spud, impress, nonplus, moderate, head, foreshorten, charge, hire, take the bad with the good, use up, sweep up, hook on, come upon, stomach, concern, motion picture, pursue, deliver, double-cross, blast, come off, scud, abate, claim, chair, rely on, not give a hoot/two hoots, pick up, clip, grow, set out, excise, sting, interpretation, letter, light upon, think, chop down, wee-wee, quest, clock, conduce, regaining, make water, construct, put one across, bring in, seduce, scram, frivol away, draw off, fall upon, could do with something, recurrence, depend on, kin, bestow, register, divvy up, trail, pull away, send, conduct, get a line, canvas, chisel, chance upon, turn over, co-opt, not give/care a damn (about), slay, manhandle, read, hold back, satiate, lay claim, let, arrogate, post, allotment, discern, pee, induct, walk on, specialise, recognize, live with, sense, be intimate with someone, grasp, wad, arrive at, ascertain, find, view as, have a bun in the oven, production, restrain, progeny, inquire, nail, plight, fulfill, occupy, subtract, presume, hit, inject, eat up, relieve oneself, mention, find out, try, pull in one's horns, have the hide of an elephant/rhinoceros, outlet, employ, portion, load down, attract, move out, baffle, take a crap, get out, profit, bobble, run away with, tell apart, generate, cozen, gull, reply, lie with, precede, get rid of, fire, encounter, include, cook, ready, make believe, suppose, project, behave, bribe, allure, propel, cope, dart, comprehend, copulate, back out, go about, nurse, oblige, consent, ken, ram, necessitate, treat, make up, bring along, getting even, endure, come to, idle, shell out, make for, bear, organise, pull back, intervene, mob, scoop up, run through, reconcile, look, larn, tamp, piece, hold, have, consider, comport, sate, ask, fall back on, shot, constrict, intromit, tear, prepare, return, meet, sway, point, recall, harbour, execute, weed out, run, see, say, squander, work, parcel out, extend, draw on, cultivate, consequence, amaze, pick out, want, get dressed, deplete, issuance, imbibe, stick, simulate, preempt, perplex, reach, put up with, civilize, way out, cart, record, regard, scoop out, throw, review, train, affiance, seclude, over, income, use, dissipate, teach, bespeak, earnings, taste, shoot for, bring forth, consume, allot, mesh, someone couldn't care less, express, twig, get together, take-in, spot, go by, pay off, stimulate, reside, have a mind of your own, clutch, publication, throng, resume, cover up, subscribe, contain, be quick/slow on the uptake, accede, soak up, share, apply, manoeuvre, swag, utilize, own, conceive, sleep together, scan, draw a bead on, measure, photograph, compass, monetize, block, cut out, go on, confine, satisfy, discipline, dispense, issue, sorb, school, restitution, come up, disembarkation, stand, get into, allowance, carry on, budge, deplane, note, obligate, return key, begin, trade, maneuver, scoop, squeeze, starvation wages, corruptible, fulfil, force, final payment, carry off, detract, unsay, dish out, tax return, bear fruit, reckon, administer, thrive, time flies, greedy, avaricious, recapture, earn, establish, give birth, result, mate, minimum wage, undergo, grind, fill, performance-related pay, sequestrate, con, stockpile, moot, quota, flush out, apportion, contract, look out for yourself/number one, qualify, money-hungry, lock, get under one's skin, bump off, meditate, sleep with, withstand, subject, piss, pledge, make do, honest, buck, concur, homecoming, shoot down, deduct, concentrate, drug, espouse, highlights, crawfish, happen upon, gravel, require, booty, cram, become, mete out, dig, invoke, concord, abide, watch, assess, mother, state, resemble, mastermind, remove, give, experience, charter, strike, don, muse, hold in, civilise, award, run into, keep back, steer, choose, cheat, entertain, bounty, construe, bundle, leverage, beat back, suffer, variation, part, touch on, proceeds, accompanied, pull on, fix, move back, memorize, direct, derive, trick, defy, waste, bring, canvass, exit, get word, affect, flow, content, salary, guard, contribute, bow, beget, put in, touch, the credits, specialize, on, bow out, ingest, collide with, commence, research, support, rail, vex, administration, ware, sell, adjudge, interest, crown, raise, persuade, pull, fall, engage, come, forge ahead, retake, translate, take the rough with the smooth, prosecute, off, care, entrap, offspring, communicate, prove, wee, wear, keep, impinge on, magnetize, pullulate, living, show, slip into, involve, transfer, learn, evolve, wages, function, get, acquit, effect, reserve, exploit, groom, savvy, claim back, income tax return, book, entail, enquire, sire, retreat, walk off with, tutor, replete, get down, fritter away, suck in, pull in, repel, address, burgeon forth, fritter, abbreviate, wreak, jam, make love, operate, pass, add up, imagine, pose, rise, deport, stool, jump into bed with someone, gauge, instruct, perceive, take over, sham, prevail, go toward, flash, count, absent, gather up, entice, deny, take a shit, cycle, give in, form, control, hit on, fool, tell of, mulct, bewilder, shoot, trample something/someone underfoot, wear on, swindle, puddle, fruit, dive, extract, latch on, check, bomb, realize, attain, hear, sequester, draw back, refer to, adopt, shorten, prosper, military issue, outcome, motor, make out, pass on, analyze, pretend, slice, postulate, call back, victimize, hit the books, enlist, take off, blank, lecture, birth, command, discount, induce, acquire, withdraw, recover, hold up, assume, take on, memorise, imply, progress to, sicken, takings, rip off, take a leak, lift out, resign yourself (to something), backfire, befool, deal out, engagement, murder, deal, gestate, dislodge, payoff, agree, distinguish, filler, micturate, bed, germinate, incline, backpack, crawfish out, sign, take aim, paying back, shape up, invade, impart, fathom, wage, make of, dole out, bring over, dress, render, be a great/firm believer in something, view, put one over, acknowledge, defraud, puzzle, bourgeon, egress, haul, suspect, cause, sign on, believe, produce, increase, coach, episode, cover, busy, exact, sop up, pass water, welcome, break, stock, hive off, get off, lot, strickle, pile, channelise, dash, believe in, diddle, ground, go through, bear off, coming back, go for, force back, press, institute, get wind, answer, upshot, board, transport, bring through, reduce, dip out, back away, cop, cry out for, place, convey, dramatize, recede, restoration, isolate, lump, bear up, sprout, tolerate, deliberate, flummox, initiate, yield, halt, estimate, take-away, analyse, arrive, resign, get to, urinate, sustain, calculate, build, feign, shrink, do, accommodate, channelize, request, educate, posit, dispatch, start out, shit, gather in, consummate, brave out, transmit, deem, mystify, surprise, flunk, appeal, carry, comeback, see both sides, flood, clear, expect, possess, tick away, lease, name, labour, top, abridge, compress, embrace, sign up, make, wrap up, mouth, allude to, call for, defecate, rejoinder, engross, favor, work out, get through, the passage of time, suck, deceive, drug up, tug, accept, sex, purport, worry, take out, pace out, lead, curb, make full, resit, bilk, event, matter, take for granted, pip, rook, spend a penny, feature, narrow, string along, cash in, put forward, purpose, exhaust, nominate, borrow, allow in, cut, shunt, walk away with, debate, engineer, chance on, couple, pee-pee, manoeuver, defend, burn up, develop, harbor, adhere to, recognise, reward, associate, try on, advance, lend, take back, channel, tamp down, clothe, overhear, need, expunge, creep by, walk out, compute, embark, call, engender, betroth, allow, get hold of, aim, comprise, select, pay back, lay down, condense, put on, submit, topic, it's all the same to someone, dramatise, realise, bear away, piddle, push back, riposte, disengage, come by, suck up, catching, pay, distribute, fool away, undertake, let in, take hold, gyp, action replay, shine, go, coverage, take-up, response, father, compartmentalize, get on, leave, brook, propose, constitute, same, portion out, pawn, tackle, measure out, crap, slip by, rebate, progress, stupefy, condition, start, lodge in, polish off, aspire, guide, discover, attack, know best, come on, roll, scoot, subscribe to, spend the night with someone, interpret, scratch.
- acquire (part of speech: verb)
- receive (part of speech: verb)
- take (part of speech: verb)
- capture (part of speech: verb)