Definition of tattoo:
- A beat of drum, or sound of a trumpet or bugle, at night, giving notice to soldiers to retreat, or to repair to their quarters in garrison, or to their tents in camp.
- An indelible mark or figure made by puncturing the skin and introducing some pigment into the punctures; -- a mode of ornamentation practiced by various barbarous races, both in ancient and modern times, and also by some among civilized nations, especially by sailors.
- To color, as the flesh, by pricking in coloring matter, so as to form marks or figures which can not be washed out.
hospitality, nosering, comedy, harmony, design, mark, brand, piercing, cabaret, music, stain, light show, bullfight, burlesque, lilt, discord, karaoke, mode, body piercing, chord, light entertainment, crescendo, symbol, air show, emblem, corporate hospitality, dissonance, drumming, tattooist, pierce, drumroll.
- "The Ethnology of the British Colonies and Dependencies", Robert Gordon Latham.
- "Travels in the Great Desert of Sahara, in the Years of 1845 and 1846", James Richardson.
- "'Laramie;' or, The Queen of Bedlam.", Charles King.