Definition of taxation :
1. Charge; accusation.
2. Tax; sum imposed.
3. The act of laying a tax, or of imposing taxes, as on the subjects of a state, by government, or on the members of a corporation or company, by the proper authority; the raising of revenue; also, a system of raising revenue.
4. The act of taxing, or assessing a bill of cost.
CGT, revenue enhancement, assessment, customs, corporation tax, tax collection, carbon tax, back tax, money-gathering, gross, imposing taxes, death tax, dues, receipts, tax revenue, tax, levying, tax income, direct tax, capitation, capital gains tax, revenue, corporate tax
- Whether the profits arising from such a mode of manufacturing will justify such a rate of taxation, can only be estimated when the returns from the volume are considered, a subject that will be discussed in a subsequent chapter. - "On the Economy of Machinery and Manufactures", Charles Babbage.
- But representation and taxation go together- and one uniform rule ought to apply to both. - "The Anti-Slavery Examiner, Omnibus", American Anti-Slavery Society.
- Such was the mad extravagance of the court that to raise money recourse was had to taxation of the clergy, which the prelates successfully resisted; the old quarrel with the Jansenists was revived, and soon Church and Crown were convulsed by an agitation that shook society to its very base. - "The Story of Paris", Thomas Okey.