Definition of temperance:
- Habitual moderation in regard to the indulgence of the natural appetites and passions; restrained or moderate indulgence; moderation; as, temperance in eating and drinking; temperance in the indulgence of joy or mirth; specifically, moderation, and sometimes abstinence, in respect to using intoxicating liquors.
- Moderation of passion; patience; calmness; sedateness.
- State with regard to heat or cold; temperature.
- moderation (part of speech: noun)
- temperance (part of speech: noun)
- sobriety (part of speech: noun)
- "Kenelm Chillingly, Complete", Edward Bulwer-Lytton.
- "Sweet Cicely Or Josiah Allen as a Politician", Josiah Allen's Wife (Marietta Holley).
- "The Magnetic North", Elizabeth Robins (C. E. Raimond).