Definition of test :
1. A cupel or cupelling hearth in which precious metals are melted for trial and refinement.
2. A reaction employed to recognize or distinguish any particular substance or constituent of a compound, as the production of some characteristic precipitate; also, the reagent employed to produce such reaction; thus, the ordinary test for sulphuric acid is the production of a white insoluble precipitate of barium sulphate by means of some soluble barium salt.
3. A witness.
4. Alt. of Testa
5. Discriminative characteristic; standard of judgment; ground of admission or exclusion.
6. Examination or trial by the cupel; hence, any critical examination or decisive trial; as, to put a man's assertions to a test.
7. Judgment; distinction; discrimination.
8. Means of trial; as, absence is a test of love.
9. That with which anything is compared for proof of its genuineness; a touchstone; a standard.
10. To examine or try, as by the use of some reagent; as, to test a solution by litmus paper.
11. To make a testament, or will.
12. To put to the proof; to prove the truth, genuineness, or quality of by experiment, or by some principle or standard; to try; as, to test the soundness of a principle; to test the validity of an argument.
13. To refine, as gold or silver, in a test, or cupel; to subject to cupellation.
experimentation, try out, try on, screen out, examine, block out, audition, rill, tribulation, hear, turn up, show, diagnostic assay, trial run, attempt, psychometric test, render, exam, ravel, catechism, tally, discharge, see, strain, interrogatory, streak, political campaign, visitation, start, raise, evidence, riddle, demonstrate, streamlet, establish, diagnostic test, countdown, runnel, quiz, pilot, criterion, shield, interrogation, turn out, rivulet, sample, judge, leaven, seek, inspection, analyse, running play, study, testify, elimination, examination, yardstick, ladder, inquiry, shew, stress, testing, essay, canvas, examen, standard, questionnaire, running, mental test, inquest, footrace, search, mark, sieve, gauge, sort, usual, canvass, foot race, outpouring, running game, tryout, rise, model, campaign, probing, touchstone, bear witness, run, screen, adjudicate, mental testing, catechization, taste, scrutiny
experiment (part of speech: verb)
measure (part of speech: verb)
measurement (part of speech: noun)
experimental (part of speech: adjective)
- Then they knew that a test would come, and prepared themselves to meet it. - "The Story Of Kennett", Bayard Taylor.
- When you have finished, test yourself to see how much of it you can recall exactly. - "Story Hour Readings: Seventh Year", E.C. Hartwell.
- Yet there remained still one more test. - "The Road to Understanding", Eleanor H. Porter.