Definition of test:
- A cupel or cupelling hearth in which precious metals are melted for trial and refinement.
- A reaction employed to recognize or distinguish any particular substance or constituent of a compound, as the production of some characteristic precipitate; also, the reagent employed to produce such reaction; thus, the ordinary test for sulphuric acid is the production of a white insoluble precipitate of barium sulphate by means of some soluble barium salt.
- A witness.
- Alt. of Testa
- Discriminative characteristic; standard of judgment; ground of admission or exclusion.
- Examination or trial by the cupel; hence, any critical examination or decisive trial; as, to put a man's assertions to a test.
- Judgment; distinction; discrimination.
- Means of trial; as, absence is a test of love.
- That with which anything is compared for proof of its genuineness; a touchstone; a standard.
- To examine or try, as by the use of some reagent; as, to test a solution by litmus paper.
- To make a testament, or will.
- To put to the proof; to prove the truth, genuineness, or quality of by experiment, or by some principle or standard; to try; as, to test the soundness of a principle; to test the validity of an argument.
- To refine, as gold or silver, in a test, or cupel; to subject to cupellation.
canvas, trial, footrace, shew, outpouring, interrogation, strain, hear, probing, catechism, running, ravel, countdown, elimination, mark, trial run, bear witness, leaven, see, campaign, prove, canvass, running play, experimental, examination, try out, inquest, riddle, rivulet, streamlet, criterion, attempt, scrutiny, rill, render, experimentation, show, political campaign, model, start, try, raise, touchstone, visitation, demonstrate, gauge, search, stress, runnel, shield, testify, examen, tally, audition, adjudicate, testing, sort, running game, ladder, judge, tryout, pilot, quiz, taste, mental testing, evidence, try on, interrogatory, standard, rise, tribulation, examine, sieve, inspection, analyse, turn up, sample, empirical, yardstick, inquiry, diagnostic assay, foot race, turn out, discharge, usual, screen out, diagnostic test, establish, screen, run, block out, seek, study, questionnaire, essay, exam, catechization, psychometric test, streak, mental test.
- experiment (part of speech: verb)
- measure (part of speech: verb)
- measurement (part of speech: noun)
- experimental (part of speech: adjective)
- "The Story Of Kennett", Bayard Taylor.
- "Story Hour Readings: Seventh Year", E.C. Hartwell.
- "The Road to Understanding", Eleanor H. Porter.