Definition of third :
1. Constituting or being one of three equal parts into which anything is divided; as, the third part of a day.
2. Next after the second; coming after two others; - the ordinal of three; as, the third hour in the day.
3. The quotient of a unit divided by three; one of three equal parts into which anything is divided.
4. The sixtieth part of a second of time.
5. The third part of the estate of a deceased husband, which, by some local laws, the widow is entitled to enjoy during her life.
6. The third tone of the scale; the mediant.
ternion, tierce, deuce-ace, tercet, third base, trine, triplet, three, one-third, trey, ordinal, ternary, trinity, terzetto, leash, troika, trio, next but one, 3rd, tertiary, after the second, threesome, third gear, terce, triad, thirdly
fraction (part of speech: noun)
trisection (part of speech: noun)
fractional (part of speech: adjective)
- Peggy, and Betty, too, third in order from the teachers, leaned around Carolyn to bow in friendly and respectful fashion, but at once they gave their attention to the crowd and the field. - "Betty Lee, Freshman", Harriet Pyne Grove.
- I shall be the third hand. - "Love Me Little, Love Me Long", Charles Reade Edition: 10 Language: English.
- On the third hand.... - "The Galaxy Primes", Edward Elmer Smith.