Definition of thirst:
- A sensation of dryness in the throat associated with a craving for liquids, produced by deprivation of drink, or by some other cause ( as fear, excitement, etc.) which arrests the secretion of the pharyngeal mucous membrane; hence, the condition producing this sensation.
- Fig.: A want and eager desire after anything; a craving or longing; - usually with for, of, or after; as, the thirst for gold.
- To feel thirst; to experience a painful or uneasy sensation of the throat or fauces, as for want of drink.
- To have a thirst for.
- To have a vehement desire.
inclination, taste, thirstiness, proclivity, appetency, zest, propensity, liking, famish, disposition, hunger, yen, stomach, starve, aridity, hungriness, proneness, impulse, appetence, lust, crave, aridness, appetite, relish.
desire (part of speech: verb)
- hunger (part of speech: verb)
dryness (part of speech: noun)
- need for liquid