Definition of threaten:
- To exhibit the appearance of ( something evil or unpleasant) as approaching; to indicate as impending; to announce the conditional infliction of; as, to threaten war; to threaten death.
- To use threats, or menaces; also, to have a threatening appearance.
- To utter threats against; to menace; to inspire with apprehension; to alarm, or attempt to alarm, as with the promise of something evil or disagreeable; to warn.
advance, overhang, adventure, strong-arm, safety, bluster, endanger, foresight, come on, mollify, scupper, peril, cow, bludgeon, help, expose, happen, approach, terrorize, hazard, over, stake, venture, hector, jeopardise, overcome, abuse, brew, fulminate, jeopardize, lower, near, menace, hang over, bullyrag, hold over, loom, impend, imperil, seize.
- endanger (part of speech: verb)
- threaten (part of speech: verb)
- warn (part of speech: verb)
- frighten (part of speech: verb)