Definition of throttle:
- The throttle valve.
- The windpipe, or trachea; the weasand.
- To breathe hard, as when nearly suffocated.
- To compress the throat of; to choke; to strangle.
- To have the throat obstructed so as to be in danger of suffocation; to choke; to suffocate.
- To shut off, or reduce flow of, as steam to an engine.
- To utter with breaks and interruption, in the manner of a person half suffocated.
gaseous state, pass away, croak, cumber, particle accelerator, keep, catalyst, cramp, rebound, asphyxiate, conk, gunman, limit, hired gun, circumscribe, snuff it, halter, fix, leap, gag, hold, hitman, restrain, cash in one's chips, constrain, hold down, encumber, entrap, give-up the ghost, specify, hold back, quench, smother, congest, bounce, set, recoil, gun for hire, kick the bucket, accelerator, clog, hit man, detain, burke, petrol, pop off, scrag, back up, decease, grease-gun, throttle valve, restrict, triggerman, qualify, die, reverberate, squelch, accelerator pedal, hush, strangulate, shooter, choke off, pass, intimidate, gas pedal, cut back, gasolene, choke, sit on, fret, snare, resile, ordnance, border, feed, keep back, suffocate, heavy weapon, gun, curtail, go, determine, restraint, foul, perish, exit, artillery, buy the farm, gasoline, gas-feed, hold in, suppress, flatulency, repress, gunslinger, clog up, expire, natural gas, breath, define, jump, enclose, confine, ricochet, drop dead, spring, take a hop, bound, trap, gas, torpedo, atom smasher, strangle, ensnare, trammel, flatulence, muffle.
- "The-Life-of-Me-an-autobiography", Johnson, Clarence Edgar.
- "The Keeper of the Door", Ethel M. Dell.
- "The Pirates of Ersatz", Murray Leinster.