Definition of thumb :
1. The short, thick first digit of the human hand, differing from the other fingers in having but two phalanges; the pollex. See Pollex.
2. To handle awkwardly.
3. To play with the thumb or thumbs; to play clumsily; to thrum.
4. To play with the thumbs, or with the thumbs and fingers; as, to thumb over a tune.
5. To soil or wear with the thumb or the fingers; to soil, or wear out, by frequent handling; also, to cover with the thumb; as, to thumb the touch- hole of a cannon.
ripple, finger, flip out, sky, ovolo, cockle, riffle, gimp, tack, throw, leaf, ruffle, alternate, hitch, preaxial digit, hobble, investigate, flicker, feel, turn over, flip-flop, scan, click, dip into, flick, first digit, pitch, hitchhike, flip over, flip through, words, switch, catch, snap, twitch, flip, interchange, undulate, run through, riff, jerk, quarter round, limp, buck, skim, toss, pollex
- But what interested me most was a straight iron bar as thick as my thumb, and about a foot and a half long. - "The Memoires of Casanova, Complete The Rare Unabridged London Edition Of 1894, plus An Unpublished Chapter of History, By Arthur Symons", Jacques Casanova de Seingalt.
- You hold him between the finger and thumb, one on each side of his waist, and pull the string. - "What Shall We Do Now?: Five Hundred Games and Pastimes", Dorothy Canfield Fisher.
- Do you bite your thumb at us, sir? - "Dramatic Technique", George Pierce Baker.