Definition of tinkle :
1. A small, sharp, quick sound, as that made by striking metal.
2. The common guillemot.
3. To cause to clonk, or make small, sharp, quick sounds.
4. To hear, or resound with, a small, sharp sound.
5. To make, or give forth, small, quick, sharp sounds, as a piece of metal does when struck; to clink.
- With the tinkle of breaking glass it went out. - "Ralestone Luck", Andre Norton.
- The words were poor, as you will allow, and the tune a mere tinkle, but it had the effect of rousing our hero from the half- sleep into which he had fallen. - "The Passionate Elopement", Compton Mackenzie.
- And the tinkle of the falling water filled her ears till she could not have heard their foot- steps following, had she tried. - "The Adventures of Fleetfoot and Her Fawns", Allen Chaffee.