Definition of tobacco:
- An American plant ( Nicotiana Tabacum) of the Nightshade family, much used for smoking and chewing, and as snuff. As a medicine, it is narcotic, emetic, and cathartic. has a strong, peculiar smell, and an acrid taste.
- The leaves of the plant prepared for smoking, chewing, etc., by being dried, cured, and manufactured in various ways.
- "Around the World with Josiah Allen's Wife", Marietta Holley.
- "Virginia", Ellen Glasgow.
- "News from the Duchy", Sir Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch.