Definition of ton:
- A certain weight or quantity of merchandise, with reference to transportation as freight; as, six hundred weight of ship bread in casks, seven hundred weight in bags, eight hundred weight in bulk; ten bushels of potatoes; eight sacks, or ten barrels, of flour; forty cubic feet of rough, or fifty cubic feet of hewn, timber, etc.
- A measure of weight or quantity.
- Forty cubic feet of space, being the unit of measurement of the burden, or carrying capacity, of a vessel; as a vessel of 300 tons burden.
- pl. of Toe.
- The common tunny, or house mackerel.
- The prevailing fashion or mode; vogue; as, things of ton.
- The weight of twenty hundredweight.
much, centigram, mass, a lot/lots, acre, a good/great deal of something, pile, bushel, ct., quantity, BMI, cubic, tonne, quite a few, are, all manner of something, shipping ton, two thousand pounds, short ton, cu., a load of/loads of something, metric ton, a thousand kilograms, weight, carat, long ton, freight ton, abundance, net ton, gross ton, measurement ton, area, displacement ton.
- "Dickens As an Educator", James L. (James Laughlin) Hughes.
- "Edison, His Life and Inventions", Frank Lewis Dyer and Thomas Commerford Martin.
- "Children of the Tenements", Jacob A. Riis.