Definition of top :
1. A bundle or ball of slivers of comkbed wool, from which the noils, or dust, have been taken out.
2. A child's toy, commonly in the form of a conoid or pear, made to spin on its point, usually by drawing off a string wound round its surface or stem, the motion being sometimes continued by means of a whip.
3. A forward spin given to the ball by hitting it on or near the top.
4. A platform surrounding the head of the lower mast and projecting on all sudes. It serves to spead the topmast rigging, thus strengheningthe mast, and also furnishes a convenient standing place for the men aloft.
5. A plug, or conical block of wood, with longitudital grooves on its surface, in which the strands of the rope slide in the process of twisting.
6. A stroke on the top of the ball.
7. Eve; verge; point.
8. The chief person; the most prominent one.
9. The crown of the head, or the hair upon it; the head.
10. The head, or upper part, of a plant.
11. The highest part of anything; the upper end, edge, or extremity; the upper side or surface; summit; apex; vertex; cover; lid; as, the top of a spire; the top of a house; the top of a mountain; the top of the ground.
12. The highest rank; the most honorable position; the utmost attainable place; as, to be at the top of one's class, or at the top of the school.
13. The part of a cut gem between the girdle, or circumference, and the table, or flat upper surface.
14. The utmost degree; the acme; the summit.
15. To arrange, as fruit, with the best on top.
16. To cover on the top; to tip; to cap; - chiefly used in the past participle.
17. To cover with another dye; as, to top aniline black with methyl violet to prevent greening and crocking.
18. To cut, break, or otherwise take off the top of ( a steel ingot) to remove unsound metal.
19. To excel; to rise above others.
20. To improve ( domestic animals, esp. sheep) by crossing certain individuals or breeds with other superior.
21. To perform eminently, or better than before.
22. To predominate; as, topping passions.
23. To put a stiffening piece or back on ( a saw blade).
24. To rise above; to excel; to outgo; to surpass.
25. To rise aloft; to be eminent; to tower; as, lofty ridges and topping mountains.
26. To rise at one end, as a yard; - usually with up.
27. To rise to the top of; to go over the top of.
28. To strike a ball above the center.
29. To strike the top of, as a wall, with the hind feet, in jumping, so as to gain new impetus; - said of a horse.
30. To take off the or upper part of; to crop.
31. Top- boots.
natural covering, make, run, exceed, cash in one's chips, round top, aggrandizement, apogee, light up, hook, crystallise, cover song, cabbage, high, outstrip, concealment, go along, first, vizor, elapse, slip away, clear, go on, uttermost, tallness, unclutter, limited, exit, evanesce, go past, roundabout, overtake, hand, hint, superlative degree, make pass, straighten out, teetotum, book binding, solve, backsheesh, come about, extend, cover, assoil, aggrandisement, pop off, give-up the ghost, flush, pourboire, overrun, sink, crystalize, bakshish, perish, hood, top side, pass off, efflorescence, screening, transgress, bloom, carrousel, take in, choice, expire, make it, fleet, return, natural elevation, squeeze, flower, payoff, pinch, beat, moderate, trespass, blow over, swipe, paint, take, surmount, glide by, travel by, covering, head, go by, cream, gratuity, binding, heyday, brighten, crimp, decapitate, go, discharge, fastigium, snuff it, amputate, slip by, net, prime, kick the bucket, line of longitude, shed light on, outside, excel, outgo, conduce, pull in, transcend, pass, die, surpass, cover version, draw, jacket crown, excrete, truncate, egest, steer, earn, treetop, vertex, carousel, top off, baksheesh, authorise, give, screen, stature, outdo, go through, turn over, ultimate, go across, leave, pass away, crownwork, sack, devolve, direct, communicate, raising, snarf, eliminate, enlighten, height, poll, sneak, realize, reach, protect, put on, summit meeting, pass by, whirligig, diadem, fall, face, masking, elevation, pass along, coronate, over, acquit, circus tent, abstract, confidential information, pick, overstep, clothe, pate, dye, take place, cut off, twitch, illuminate, meridian, purloin, prize, sort out, altitude, point, twinge, eyeshade, gain, croak, lift, extremum, exonerate, blanket, tweet, lowest, fall out, pass on, lapse, bring in, conduct, outmatch, wind, elucidate, shear, exculpate, covert, approach, happen, bakshis, outperform, bill, guide, trim, hap, decease, top out, back, upper side, crystallize, legislate, filch, jacket, buy the farm, precede, upside, overhaul, result, authorize, covering fire, clear up, crystalise, cover charge, put across, sack up, approximate, realise, visor, conk, occur, go beyond, better, prune, superlative, big top, cloak, chair, fade, pilfer, blossom, utmost, lead, surface, reinforce, coat, top of the inning, spend, tiptop, nobble, choke, spinning top, vellicate, slide by, cut, pennant, contribute, merry-go-round, drop dead
summit (part of speech: noun)
maximum, climax, topmost, acme, highest, zenith, culminating, summit, loftiest, uppermost, crown, pinnacle, extremity, crest, capping, brow, peak, cap, apex, topmost point, limit, culmination, uppermost point, tip, extreme, crowning, headmost, highest point
top (part of speech: noun)