Definition of tortuous:
- Bent in different directions; wreathed; twisted; winding; as, a tortuous train; a tortuous train; a tortuous leaf or corolla.
- Fig.: Deviating from rectitude; indirect; erroneous; deceitful.
- Injurious: tortious.
- Oblique; - applied to the six signs of the zodiac ( from Capricorn to Gemini) which ascend most rapidly and obliquely.
problematic, snarly, elaborate, curving, involved, flexuous, devious, repetition, confused, copious, windy, gnarled, twisting, curling, wandering, baffling, deceitful, wicked, labyrinthine, contorted, complicated, straight, bending, knotted, crooked, twisted, snarled, sinuous, sinuous, gnarly, twisty, elusive, incomprehensible, problematical, indirect, oblique, convoluted, curled, curved, curvy, tangled, meandrous, snaky, perverse, Byzantine, crazy, complex, intricate, snaky, anfractuous, tough, rambling, tricky, difficult, winding, convolute, roundabout, mired, circular, confusing, voluminous, knotty, knobbed.
- convoluted (part of speech: adjective)
- punishing (part of speech: adjective)
- "Three Months in the Southern States, April-June 1863", Arthur J. L. (Lieut.-Col.) Fremantle.
It is certainly very astonishing that a substance so solid as ice can flow in this way, along a rocky and tortuous bed, as if it were semi- fluid; and it was a long time before men would believe that such a thing could be possible.- "Rollo in Switzerland", Jacob Abbott.
- "Castle Craneycrow", George Barr McCutcheon.