Definition of tragic:
dreadful, lamentable, harrowing, appalling, destructive, heartbreaking, deadly, grim, dire, heart-rending, pitiful, fateful, shocking, painful, baleful, ill-fated, fatal, ill-starred, awe-inspiring, sad, unhappy, ruinous, tragical, hapless, deathly, crushing, desolating, terrible.
- adverse (part of speech: adjective)
- dramatic (part of speech: adjective)
- "Waiting for Daylight", Henry Major Tomlinson.
- "Melchior's Dream and Other Tales", Juliana Horatia Ewing.
- "Peggy Owen and Liberty", Lucy Foster Madison.