Definition of trial:
- Any effort or exertion of strength for the purpose of ascertaining what can be done or effected.
- Examination by a test; experiment, as in chemistry, metallurgy, etc.
- That which tries or afflicts; that which harasses; that which tries the character or principles; that which tempts to evil; as, his child's conduct was a sore trial.
- The act of testing by experience; proof; test.
- The act of trying or testing in any manner.
- The formal examination of the matter in issue in a cause before a competent tribunal; the mode of determining a question of fact in a court of law; the examination, in legal form, of the facts in issue in a cause pending before a competent tribunal, for the purpose of determining such issue.
- The state of being tried or tempted; exposure to suffering that tests strength, patience, faith, or the like; affliction or temptation that exercises and proves the graces or virtues of men.
case, visitation, thorn, attempt, temporary, essay, acid test, examination, troublemaker, Cup, experimental, battle, sample, probationary, class action, empirical, dummy run, running play, running, challenge, offer, ringleader, stress, beta test, rill, court, crown, clash, run, bother, go, worst-case scenario, tryout, easy, political campaign, put through, quagmire, hearing, exertion, effort, court-martial, psychometric test, card, an accident waiting to happen, discharge, heavy, crisis, take, bogeyman, runnel, streak, assay, handful, crucible, trial balloon, audition, ladder, try, over, field test, mental testing, crash-test, crack, dissent, appeal, outpouring, contest, start, the Commonwealth Games, pain, championship, developmental, law, cause, mischief-maker, stab, tally, struggle, campaign, cross, test, foot race, endeavor, tribulation, experimentation, shakedown, bad news, pilot, hell, shot, rivulet, committal, ravel, mental test, action, exam, nuisance, try out, preliminary, footrace, nightmare, model, trial run, investigate, close season, bye, put someone/something to the test, streamlet, running game.
adversity (part of speech: noun)
- hard luck,
- bad luck,
- rainy day,
- hard times,
- experimental (part of speech: adjective)
- experiment (part of speech: noun)
- "Cattle and Cattle-breeders", William M'Combie.
- "Oddsfish!", Robert Hugh Benson.
- "A Select Collection of Old English Plays, Volume I.", R. Dodsley.