Definition of tribute:
- A certain proportion of the ore raised, or of its value, given to the miner as his recompense.
- A personal contribution, as of money, praise, service, etc., made in token of services rendered, or as that which is due or deserved; as, a tribute of affection.
- An annual or stated sum of money or other valuable thing, paid by one ruler or nation to another, either as an acknowledgment of submission, or as the price of peace and protection, or by virtue of some treaty; as, the Romans made their conquered countries pay tribute.
- To pay as tribute.
testimony, aid, encomium, recommendation, security, praise, levy, recognition, salute, aegis, testimonial, good word, protective covering, congratulation, pension, salvo, premium, eulogy, commendation, auspices, offering, indemnity, fee, shelter, protection, support, trade protection, subsidy, compliment, subvention, bribe, protective cover, panegyric, ransom, praise, applause.
reward (part of speech: noun)
- "A Narrative of Captivity in Abyssinia With Some Account of the Late Emperor Theodore, His Country and People", Henry Blanc.
- "John Marchmont's Legacy, Volume I (of 3)", Mary E. Braddon.
- "The Social Cancer A Complete English Version of Noli Me Tangere", José Rizal.