Definition of trick:
- A knot, braid, or plait of hair.
- A particular habit or manner; a peculiarity; a trait; as, a trick of drumming with the fingers; a trick of frowning.
- A sly, dexterous, or ingenious procedure fitted to puzzle or amuse; as, a bear's tricks; a juggler's tricks.
- A toy; a trifle; a plaything.
- A turn; specifically, the spell of a sailor at the helm, - usually two hours.
- An artifice or stratagem; a cunning contrivance; a sly procedure, usually with a dishonest intent; as, a trick in trade.
- Mischievous or annoying behavior; a prank; as, the tricks of boys.
- The whole number of cards played in one round, and consisting of as many cards as there are players.
- To deceive by cunning or artifice; to impose on; to defraud; to cheat; as, to trick another in the sale of a horse.
- To draw in outline, as with a pen; to delineate or distinguish without color, as arms, etc., in heraldry.
- To dress; to decorate; to set off; to adorn fantastically; - often followed by up, off, or out.
put on, quibble, dupery, pasquinade, play tricks, truth, sham, shakedown, clowning, invocation, ability, frolic, fox, burlesque, honesty, fraud, play, time, delusion, discombobulate, conspiracy, finesse, gambol, fake, have, parody, head game, excite, craft, imposture, feat, concealment, invention, befuddle, mockery, play false, flim-flam, lavatory, capriole, laugh, fob, conjuring, distortion, front, know-how, play a trick on, pull someone's leg, throw, confound, casuistry, cozen, cunning, wile, legerdemain, art, hoax, bedevil, sell-out, lark, shuffle, romp, circumvention, deal, semblance, evasion, jig, illusion, prank, knack, takeoff, charade, conjuration, deceit, stunt, good, whoremaster, cheat, gimmick, take for a ride, toilet, bathroom, sleight, double-dealing, dissimulation, caper, lampoon, spoof, inning, fabrication, conundrum, fraudulence, treachery, stretch, take-in, falsehood, put something over on, impersonation, succeed, stint, phoney, perjury, beguile, snare, round, means, monkeyshine, tour, honest, hand, con, incantation, guile, pull a fast one on, hang, turn, harlequinade, touch, feel, equivocation, four-flush, sport, clip, antic, betray, go, capriole, whoremonger, attain success, swindle, lead astray, misrepresentation, jocularity, spell, simulacrum, travesty, cover, lie, facility, pretense, watch, shift, forgery, ambush, plant, fast one, skill, shenanigan, hitch, method, jape, accomplish, gag, deception, magic trick, gyp, come-on, sendup, can, chicanery, duplicity, joke, conjury, phantasy, job, dissembling, bamboozle, privy, humbug, japery, john, lav, confuse, conjuring trick, sucker, bout, fuddle, play a joke on, intrigue, jest, bluff, magic, delude, counterfeit, frivolity, buffoonery, thaumaturgy, work, fancy, disguise, double-cross, fantasy.
- decoy (part of speech: verb)
- stratagem (part of speech: noun)
- dupe (part of speech: verb)