Definition of trough:
- A long, hollow vessel, generally for holding water or other liquid, especially one formed by excavating a log longitudinally on one side; a long tray; also, a wooden channel for conveying water, as to a mill wheel.
- Any channel, receptacle, or depression, of a long and narrow shape; as, trough between two ridges, etc.
- The transverse section of a cyclonic area where the barometric pressure, neither rising nor falling, has reached its lowest point.
roll, arena, sports stadium, hollow, hole, eavestrough, bowling ball, depression between waves, bowl, bowlful, boulder clay, sewer, manger, pipe bowl, public treasury, toilet, gutter, till, cashbox, money box, stadium, cup.
- "A Select Collection of Old English Plays, Volume I.", R. Dodsley.
- "Frank's Campaign or the Farm and the Camp", Horatio Alger, Jr..
- "The Aran Islands", John M. Synge.