Definition of try:
- A screen, or sieve, for grain.
- Act of trying; attempt; experiment; trial.
- In Rugby and Northern Union football, a score ( counting three points) made by grounding the ball on or behind the opponent's goal line; - so called because it entitles the side making it to a place kick for a goal ( counting two points more if successful)
- Refined; select; excellent; choice.
- To divide or separate, as one sort from another; to winnow; to sift; to pick out; - frequently followed by out; as, to try out the wild corn from the good.
- To do; to fare; as, how do you try!
- To essay; to attempt; to endeavor.
- To examine or investigate judicially; to examine by witnesses or other judicial evidence and the principles of law; as, to try a cause, or a criminal.
- To exert strength; to endeavor; to make an effort or an attempt; as, you must try hard if you wish to learn.
- To experience; to have or gain knowledge of by experience.
- To experiment with; to test by use; as, to try a remedy for disease; to try a horse.
- To prove by experiment; to apply a test to, for the purpose of determining the quality; to examine; to prove; to test; as, to try weights or measures by a standard; to try a man's opinions.
- To purify or refine, as metals; to melt out, and procure in a pure state, as oil, tallow, lard, etc.
- To settle; to decide; to determine; specifically, to decide by an appeal to arms; as, to try rival claims by a duel; to try conclusions.
- To strain; to subject to excessive tests; as, the light tries his eyes; repeated disappointments try one's patience.
- To subject to severe trial; to put to the test; to cause suffering or trouble to.
raise, translate, pry, learn, screen, take, unlock, testify, picture, put through, savour, canvas, look for, deliver, essay, guess, knock oneself out, get wind, turn in, refine, puree, challenge, tackle, exploit, sieve, burst open, enterprise, provide, get word, adjudicate, see, call, Hear, sift, reach, offer, scavenge, smack, take heed, decide, whack, pass judgment, show, chase, quiz, whirl, subdue, generate, bring to the test, taste, propose, unfold, shew, labor, resolve, attempt, go through, study, pick through, filtrate, place kick, touch, set about, crash-test, claim, evidence, swallow, conversion, seek out, search out, crusade, cite, distort, venture, endeavour, deform, demonstrate, separate out, consume, judge, stab, exertion, return, work, accent, speculate, crack, strive, seek, submit, crack something open, yield, look out for, depict, approximate, canvass, discover, emphasise, gauge, dig, turn up, fork out, effort, open up, contest, undertake, pass, stand, Australian Rules football, aspire, examine, arraign, label, go after, give, supply, fifteen, lay to, bring before, tense up, hand over, affirm, allow, delve, risk, fly half, contend, soften, trial run, fork over, attack, elbow grease, fling, humble, extend, follow up, look up, bring, bash, appeal, ingest, campaign, pronounce, scout, interpret, shoot at, go all out, emphasize, unscrew, check up on, buckle down, force, sweat, eat, movement, evaluate, sample, put someone/something to the test, travail, savor, get a line, leaven, shot, feat, prop, try on, stress, make trial of, lock, analyse, estimate, accentuate, hunt down, assay, push for, look into, pilot, audition, listen, undo, establish, search, wrangle, fork up, cause, strain, try for, endeavor, bid, push, have, pick up, filter out, convert, bear witness, turn out, go, appear, find out, purify, struggle, line-out, furnish, manage, conversion kick, press for, filter, render, drive, try out, trial, tense, punctuate, settle, rise, gather.
- experiment (part of speech: verb)
- punish (part of speech: verb)