Definition of try :
1. A screen, or sieve, for grain.
2. Act of trying; attempt; experiment; trial.
3. In Rugby and Northern Union football, a score ( counting three points) made by grounding the ball on or behind the opponent's goal line; - so called because it entitles the side making it to a place kick for a goal ( counting two points more if successful)
4. Refined; select; excellent; choice.
5. To divide or separate, as one sort from another; to winnow; to sift; to pick out; - frequently followed by out; as, to try out the wild corn from the good.
6. To do; to fare; as, how do you try!
7. To essay; to attempt; to endeavor.
8. To examine or investigate judicially; to examine by witnesses or other judicial evidence and the principles of law; as, to try a cause, or a criminal.
9. To exert strength; to endeavor; to make an effort or an attempt; as, you must try hard if you wish to learn.
10. To experience; to have or gain knowledge of by experience.
11. To experiment with; to test by use; as, to try a remedy for disease; to try a horse.
12. To prove by experiment; to apply a test to, for the purpose of determining the quality; to examine; to prove; to test; as, to try weights or measures by a standard; to try a man's opinions.
13. To purify or refine, as metals; to melt out, and procure in a pure state, as oil, tallow, lard, etc.
14. To settle; to decide; to determine; specifically, to decide by an appeal to arms; as, to try rival claims by a duel; to try conclusions.
15. To strain; to subject to excessive tests; as, the light tries his eyes; repeated disappointments try one's patience.
16. To subject to severe trial; to put to the test; to cause suffering or trouble to.
quiz, risk, emphasize, contest, burst open, provide, call, pick through, buckle down, yield, soften, generate, pick up, have, whack, punctuate, discover, adjudicate, bring to the test, fork up, study, examine, put someone/something to the test, sift, interpret, press for, go after, offer, labor, speculate, exertion, gauge, guess, drive, audition, Australian Rules football, convert, pry, push, decide, look up, search out, stress, try out, savor, depict, accent, stab, claim, sweat, enterprise, get a line, bear witness, cite, deform, listen, undo, fifteen, learn, evaluate, rise, movement, seek out, challenge, turn up, estimate, struggle, fling, see, effort, tense up, lock, go through, return, take heed, propose, savour, trial run, sample, shoot at, campaign, touch, give, furnish, crack something open, essay, scout, line-out, translate, force, cause, appear, humble, picture, travail, take, attack, settle, screen, fork over, consume, puree, canvass, show, leaven, make trial of, feat, eat, knock oneself out, bring, unfold, aspire, accentuate, lay to, sieve, supply, hand over, appeal, whirl, pass judgment, seek, arraign, canvas, attempt, hunt down, pronounce, find out, filter, bash, subdue, ingest, elbow grease, allow, scavenge, stand, strive, bring before, work, fork out, push for, unscrew, evidence, crack, go, shew, set about, undertake, affirm, approximate, extend, swallow, turn in, wrangle, venture, raise, manage, trial, chase, submit, separate out, pass, endeavour, conversion kick, filtrate, look for, render, try on, look into, delve, tense, look out for, put through, label, conversion, dig, follow up, tackle, crusade, filter out, demonstrate, deliver, go all out, refine, Hear, smack, resolve, shot, analyse, testify, exploit, establish, purify, search, get wind, crash-test, taste, prop, turn out, unlock, fly half, endeavor, place kick, distort, strain, check up on, emphasise, open up, try for, get word, contend, bid, gather, pilot, reach
experiment (part of speech: verb)
punish (part of speech: verb)
avenge, burden, keelhaul, confine, chastise, crucify, agonize, distress, execute, persecute, torture, fine, chasten, penalize, imprison, correct, reprise, castigate, incarcerate, lambaste, pillory, punish, sentence, judge, afflict, discipline, anguish