Definition of turf:
- Peat, especially when prepared for fuel. See Peat.
- Race course; horse racing; - preceded by the.
- That upper stratum of earth and vegetable mold which is filled with the roots of grass and other small plants, so as to adhere and form a kind of mat; sward; sod.
- To cover with turf or sod; as, to turf a bank, of the border of a terrace.
alluvium, mud, fuel, burn, claim, varnish, carpet, district, the bench, kick out, bowl, clay, energy, flat race, plaster, out, fossil fuel, conservancy, chase, heath, dry land, throw out, board over, lawn, acreage, downs, flat racing, coal-fired, dust, biomass, double, the horses, earth, crease, tile, territory, grassland, belt, gas, clod, biogas, cement, peat, rout, dirt, extrude, sodomite, paper, handicap, bugger, sward, banish, grit, turn out, extrude, moor, lea, sodomist, wax, superoxide dismutase, terrain, furlong, run off, plate, drum, paddock, greensward, alley, bleachers, baseline, country, expel, boot, gymkhana, capacity, going, cast out, ice, AstroTurf, biofuel, the box, conservation area, dismiss, green, dressage, moorland, sod, meadow, bounce, loam, court, grass, corridor, border, horseflesh, oust.
arena (part of speech: noun)
- "The Maid of Maiden Lane", Amelia E. Barr.
- "The Man From the Clouds", J. Storer Clouston.
- "The Duke's Children", Anthony Trollope.