Definition of tympanum:
- In a printing press, the parchment frame on which the sheet of paper is laid before being turned over on the form of type to be printed.
- In anat., the middle cavity of the ear, familiarly called the drum of the ear; in arch., the naked face of a pediment, usually a triangular space or table in the corners or sides of an arch, often enriched with figures; the die of a pedestal; the panel of a door; a drum- shaped wheel with spirally- curved partitions, used for raising water for the purposes of irrigation.
- "The Bertrams", Anthony Trollope.
- "The Story of Rouen", Sir Theodore Andrea Cook.
- "Studies in the Out-Lying Fields of Psychic Science", Hudson Tuttle.