Definition of uhlan :
1. One of a certain description of militia among the Tartars.
2. One of a kind of light cavalry of Tartaric origin, first introduced into European armies in Poland. They are armed with lances, pistols, and sabers, and are employed chiefly as skirmishers.
- IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ ll fetch him; he is in Uhlan uniform, like me. - "A Hero of Liége", Herbert Strang.
- To decide him upon making this attack, Baron von Mack left him at nine o'clock at night, crossed the Danube, accompanied only by a single Uhlan, and penetrated into the suburb of Lissa, where he made prisoner a Turkish officer, whom, on the next morning at seven o'clock, he presented to his general, and from whom it was learnt that the garrison contained only six thousand, men. - "The Project Gutenberg Memoirs of Napoleon Bonaparte", Bourrienne, Constant, and Stewarton.
- Many a smart Uhlan fell by their bullets, and many a sentry dropped, shot by an unknown hand. - "The Invasion", William Le Queux.