Definition of ulema :
1. A college or body composed of the hierarchy ( the imams, muftis, and cadis). That of Turkey alone now has political power; its head is the sheik ul Islam.
2. A college or corporation in Turkey composed of the hierarchy, namely, the imams, or ministers of religion, the muftis, or doctors of law, and the cadis, or administrators of justice.
- Three months had elapsed since the disappearance of the Caliph, when one morning at the Grand Vizier's usual state reception of the Ulema and Emirs of the Empire, Ibrahim, addressing Giafer, said, " Grand Vizier, three months have now passed since we have had among us the glorious and august presence of the Commander of the Faithful; tell us, therefore, where he is, and why he no longer appears to give audience and render justice to his people?" - "Tales of the Caliph", H. N. Crellin.
- And this, we learn, is a litany of praises, beginning with Abd'ul- Hamid and ending with the ulema of Damascus; which litany the Society Deputies would place in the mouth of Khalid for the good of all concerned. - "The Book of Khalid", Ameen Rihani.
- The showy livery of the officials, the loose, spacious, gorgeous uniforms of the officers, with the curved jewelled scimitars and white turbans, the rich silk robes of the Ulema, robe over robe of coloured silk with flowing sleeves and sumptuous silken vests, the ample dignity of noble- looking Arabs in immense white turbans, the dark straight Stambouli coat of the officials, made a picture of striking variety and colour and interest. - "The Weavers, Complete", Gilbert Parker Last Updated: March 14, 2009.