Definition of umbrella:
- A shade, screen, or guard, carried in the hand for sheltering the person from the rays of the sun, or from rain or snow. It is formed of silk, cotton, or other fabric, extended on strips of whalebone, steel, or other elastic material, inserted, or fastened to, a rod or stick by means of pivots or hinges, in such a way as to allow of being opened and closed with ease. See Parasol.
- Any marine tectibranchiate gastropod of the genus Umbrella, having an umbrella- shaped shell; - called also umbrella shell.
- The umbrellalike disk, or swimming bell, of a jellyfish.
bumbershoot, beach umbrella, comprehensive.
- "Bertha Garlan", Arthur Schnitzler.
- "Dusty Star", Olaf Baker.
- "The Heart of Rome", Francis Marion Crawford.