Definition of undercurrent:
- A current below the surface of water, sometimes flowing in a contrary direction to that on the surface.
- Hence, figuratively, a tendency of feeling, opinion, or the like, in a direction contrary to what is publicly shown; an unseen influence or tendency; as, a strong undercurrent of sentiment in favor of a prisoner.
- Running beneath the surface; hidden.
- "The Other Side of the Door", Lucia Chamberlain.
- "Warrior of the Dawn", Howard Carleton Browne.
- "The Splendid Folly", Margaret Pedler.