Definition of understand:
- To be apprised, or have information, of; to learn; to be informed of; to hear; as, I understand that Congress has passed the bill.
- To be informed; to have or receive knowledge.
- To have just and adequate ideas of; to apprehended the meaning or intention of; to have knowledge of; to comprehend; to know; as, to understand a problem in Euclid; to understand a proposition or a declaration; the court understands the advocate or his argument; to understand the sacred oracles; to understand a nod or a wink.
- To have the use of the intellectual faculties; to be an intelligent being.
- To mean without expressing; to imply tacitly; to take for granted; to assume.
- To recognize or hold as being or signifying; to suppose to mean; to interpret; to explain.
- To stand under; to support.
gain, explain, go out, interpret, actualise, penetrate, dig, render, generalise, see, transform, clear, translate, construe, go steady, conceive, find, note, commiserate, deduce, picture, guess, identify with, be quick/slow on the uptake, ken, examine, concede, regard, misunderstand, generalize, savvy, count on, run across, believe in, actualize, experience, view, get wind, go through, extrapolate, get word, date, ensure, make out, empathise, meet, look, decide, twig, scan, visit, register, seize, find out, rede, attend, have a feel for something, make, take, escort, hear, get, imagine, fancy, infer, sense, insure, decode, make of, fathom, watch, apprehend, see to it, work out, see through, get the idea, suspect, sympathize, figure out, come across, pick up, catch, substantiate, project, agree, be a great/firm believer in something, encounter, visualize, consider, conjecture, run into, see the light, agnize, induce, empathize, gather, fall/fit into place, get a line, realise, earn, envision, compass, distinguish, visualise, realize, determine, intuit, reason, reckon, make sense of something, derive, pull in, cotton, take in, grok, tumble, follow, agnise, cognize, deduct, decipher, appreciate, bring in, catch on, recognise, behold, knowledge, assure, sympathise, draw, control, say, show, take care, see both sides, figure, represent, witness, check, think, record, image, possess, ascertain.
- believe (part of speech: verb)
- learn (part of speech: verb)
- know (part of speech: verb)