Definition of unessential :
1. Not essential; not of prime importance; not indispensable; unimportant.
2. Something not constituting essence, or something which is not of absolute necessity; as, forms are among the unessentials of religion.
3. Void of essence, or real being.
extraneous (part of speech: adjective)
extrinsic, inapplicable, impertinent, other, extraneous, dissociated, irrelevant, estranged, eerie, separate, foreign, extraterrestrial, disconnected, outer, separated, strange, foreign-born, nonessential, alien, immaterial, detached, outside, outlandish, parenthetical, removed, inadmissible, segregated, exotic, unallied, unaffiliated, disjoint, external, inappropriate, unrelated, disaffiliated
- Canons in criticism are as unessential as subjects in painting. - "Since Cézanne", Clive Bell.
- The Latin text of the editio princeps, embodied in the Book of Concord, had likewise undergone some, though unessential, changes. - "Historical Introductions to the Symbolical Books of the Evangelical Lutheran Church", Friedrich Bente.
- It would be wearisome to reiterate the faults of drawing in each picture when we come to deal with them separately, and it is better to recognise in the outset that, in pursuit of a certain definite end, Signorelli is careless of what seems to him unessential at the moment. - "Luca Signorelli", Maud Cruttwell.