Definition of unhappy :
1. In a degree miserable or wretched; not happy; sad; sorrowful; as, children render their parents unhappy by misconduct.
2. Marked by infelicity; evil; calamitous; as, an unhappy day.
3. Mischievous; wanton; wicked.
4. Not happy or fortunate; unfortunate; unlucky; as, affairs have taken an unhappy turn.
unbecoming, in a bad way, incongruous, lovesick, inapposite, disillusioned, glum, doleful, hapless, incorrect, unpleasant, inconsolable, spiritless, perverse, ill-starred, down on your luck, inapt, good, jinxed, disconsolate, tristful, unapt, heartsore, forlorn, wrong, unfortunate, troubled, nostalgic, subdued, bad, stressed, down, unseemly, afflicted, star-crossed, ill-chosen, sorrowful, luckless, amiss, worried, heavy-hearted, downhearted, distressed, heartbroken, awkward, crestfallen, sorry, saddened, heartbreaking, misfortune, hard-luck, wistful, sad, woebegone, painful, terrible, unsuitable, heavyhearted, melancholic, malapropos, hard put, dejected, dispirited, hangdog, luck, woeful, heartsick, droopy, depressed, ability, a run of good/bad luck, unfit, infelicitous, dismayed, inappropriate, dysphoric, inept, discontented, dismal, mournful, mischance, ill-fated, hard-pressed, downcast, down in the mouth, graceless, upset, bleak, low-spirited, untoward, cast down, depressing, upsetting, happy, improper, suffering, unlucky, snakebit, tragic, bitter, desolate, low, homesick, disenchanted, brokenhearted, dull, indecorous, blue, disturbed, melancholy, disappointed
discontent (part of speech: adjective)
cheerless, disgruntled, discontent, gloomy, cross, anxious, dissident, wretched, irreconcilable, fed up, joyless, uneasy, discomposed, exasperated, despondent, displeased, sour, frustrated, restless, disapproving, miserable, anguished, irritated, non-satisfied, ticked off, ungratified, uncomfortable, bored, malcontent, teed off, disquieted, dissatisfied
- " You know how unhappy I am; it was foolish of me to break down here, but I could not help it. - "What Dreams May Come", Gertrude Franklin Horn Atherton.
- " At any rate it does not make him unhappy," she said to herself. - "Can You Forgive Her?", Anthony Trollope.
- He has gone away unhappy, and you let him go. - "Our Bessie", Rosa Nouchette Carey.