Definition of upright:
- A tool made from a flat strip of steel with chisel edges at both ends, bent into horseshoe, the opening between the cutting edges being adjustable, used for reducing splits to skeins. Called in full upright shave.
- Conformable to moral rectitude.
- Designating a club in which the head is approximately at a right angle with the shaft.
- In an erect position or posture; perpendicular; vertical, or nearly vertical; pointing upward; as, an upright tree.
- Morally erect; having rectitude; honest; just; as, a man upright in all his ways.
- Something standing upright, as a piece of timber in a building. See Illust. of Frame.
- Stretched out face upward; flat on the back.
serious, trusty, ethical, full, erect, raised, proficient, ripe, ingenuous, skillful, frank, plumb, estimable, rampant, effective, manly, virtuous, true, skilful, genuine, salutary, undecomposed, upright piano, sincere, good, principled, rearing, right, stand-up, candid, unspoiled, incorruptible, unbowed, practiced, punctilious, well, exalted, straight, statant, circumspect, passant, fair, horizontal, near, unspoilt, trustworthy, dear, just, equitable, unbent, unimpeachable, straight-shooting, moral, straight-backed, in force, honest, honorable, dependable, high-minded, tumid, straightforward, righteous, impartial, faithful, perpendicular, aboveboard, fastigiate, adept, unsloped, erectile, vertical, beneficial, expert, safe, in effect, incorruptible, respectable, upstanding, orthostatic, standing, correct, secure, sound.
- "Whosoever Shall Offend", F. Marion Crawford.
- "The Short Works of George Meredith", George Meredith Last Updated: March 7, 2009.
It often raised one third of its body above the water, and stood upright for a considerable time; then suddenly darted under the ship, and appeared in the same attitude on the other side; this it would repeat for thirty times together.- "The Romance of Natural History, Second Series", Philip Henry Gosse.